Ben is a performance artist creating work focused on the interactions between movement and text, seeking opportunities that challeng the audience and disrupt the ordinary through the creation of activated art. They have recently performed and worked with ARENA Dances, Stuart Pimsler Dance & Theater at the Cowles Center, The Moving Company at the Guthrie Theater, Leyya Mona Tawil at the Soap Factory, and Orchard Theater Collective. Last year they formed Theatre Unchecked, an emerging artist collective, which produced Hand-Picked for the Twin Cities Horror Festival.
Ben has created and presented original work at the Center for Performing Arts, St. Olaf College, ACDA North-Central Conference, Bearnstow in Mount Vernon, Maine, and at Future Interstates. Ben graduated from St. Olaf College where they received a B.A in Dance and Theater and a concentration in Women’s and Gender Studies.
Ben Swenson-Klatt 612.227.1681 • email@example.com
Work Experience Production Intern, Patrick’s Cabaret, Minneapolis, MN — March 2018 • Scheduled, assisted, and helped produce Lightning Rod, a week long production featuring over 35 artists and six performances • Staged and facilitated two nights of sold out shows at the Phoenix Theater
Intern, Minnesota Citizens for the Arts, Minneapolis, MN — February 2018-Present • Organizer for over 200 appointments with Legislators at the Minnesota State Capital to coordinate Arts Advocacy Day 2018 for over 300 attendees • Gaining critical insight to improve arts funding by analyzing studies and coordinating advocacy work • Run social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to engage and educate audiences Co-Founder/Artistic Director, Theatre Unchecked, Minneapolis, MN — April-December 2017 •
Collaborated with multiple artists to form an emerging artists cooperative with a mission towards creating new and original productions by people of color, women, queer, and other marginalized artists • Presented Hand-Picked at the Twin Cities Horror Festival VI to 300 audience members
• Producer for productions including writing contracts, running social media, fundraising and managing a production budget of over $3,000 Choreographer, Young Artists Initiative, St. Paul, MN — June 2017-August 2017
• Created and taught movement for Shrek Jr. The Musical to over thirty middle school/high schoolers in an educational environment for the Summer Musical Experience program
• Collaborated with a team of professional staff to create a community engaging production Performing Arts Intern, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN — September 2016-June 2017
• Worked alongside professional staff to develop, market, and produce a successful season of performances featuring local and international artists
• Facilitated and curated the performing arts blog, The Green Room, through in-depth research and exploration using Microsoft Ofﬁce Event Coordinator, Ole Thrift Shop, St. Olaf College, Northﬁeld, MN — January 2014-June 2016
• Coordinated and planned large scale sale of donated items which more than 1,500 people attended • Raised over $7,000 annually to donate to environmentally-focused organizations at St. Olaf College Education Intern, The Children’s Theater Company, Minneapolis, MN — May-August 2014
• Created a successful and educational production as assistant choreographer and stage manager
• Trained under and collaborated with professional artists, educators and administrators Education and Training St. Olaf College, Northﬁeld, MN Bachelor of Arts in Theater and Dance | Concentration: Women’s and Gender Studies • Awards: Honor’s Day (2012-2015), Blue Key Natl. Honor Society, Alumni Dance Scholarship, Hiebert Scholarship, Sostek Summer Study Grant, Wagner-Bungaard Scholarship • International Studies: University of Cape Town: CIEE Arts and Sciences | Spring 2015